14 Gift Ideas for Someone You've Only Been Dating for a Few Months
Cosmopolitan has partnered with Revlon and Zoosk to bring you the ultimate love guide.
Getting a gift for someone you just started dating ishard.You're not close enough to plan a trip to Aruba together, nor are you close enough to give him an electric tweezer to take care of his stray hairs. But just because you aren't comfortable manscaping him (…yet), doesn't mean you have to get him something lame for Valentine's Day. And no, you cannot just get him a box of boring chocolates. You're an original lady, so no excuses! Try one of these instead:
1. A mixology cocktail book.Nothing says, "I'm still getting to know you," like making an extended offer to combine liquors, and nothing says, "we aren't quite at the sweatpants and wine phase in our relationship yet," like making an effort to learn how to make fancy-schmancy cocktails together. It's also a subtle way to clear out his souvenir shot glass cabinet for some whiskey and bitters.Apothecary Cocktailshas some great cocktails that aren't impossible to make.
2. Tickets to a concert, play, or sporting event. Because you can go together, duh. And each of the above has its perks: At a concert, you can dance like maniacs together and bond over your sweet, sweet dance moves. At a play, you can connect over how much you appreciate the arts — a little bit of post-show dramatic criticism is basically mental foreplay. And if you like sports, nothing brings two people closer together quite like cheering in the bleachers in the freezing cold while chugging down overpriced beer.
3. A home-brewing beer kit.OK, so maybe elaborate mixology isn't his — or more importantly,your— thing. Then there is nothing cooler than BYOB, or Brewing Your Own Beer. Brooklyn Brew Shop makes kits in a variety of flavors that make DIY brewing easy to do, and you two can get your brew on together. Post your free-flowing homemade brew on Instagram, and then drink up, you Craft Beer Queen!
4. A cookbook."I want to learn how to cook," he uttered on the first date at that 3.5-star restaurant.I'll show you, you thought, imagining the two of you exploring the hot and steamy worlds of the deep-fried sage magic or simply an amped-up pasta dish with chicken. Music is the food of love? No, food is the food of love. if you're a newbie to the kitchen, but if you're more experienced, go bold and try something new and adventurous.
5. A board game.What's sexier than a little competition? If you're unfamiliar with the world of board games beyond Monopoly, Settlers of Catan is a great place to start — just don't forget to put away all of the little pieces before you have sex on the table after you win. Trying to figure out how to get a tiny game piece out of your butt can definitely bring two people closer together, but you might want to wait til you've known each other a little bit longer for that.
6. Super-nice notebooks.Oh, so he's a creative, writerly type? He probably jots his thoughts down on whatever's handy, like in his phone in a million files in his notes app. He'll love when he writes his ideas in that sweet Moleskine pad or unique leather notebook — and it's way, way classier.
7. Texting-friendly gloves.Sometimes giving a guy winter gear can look a bit grandma-ish, but grandma can't text, can she? (Or maybe yours can, in which case, props to your grandma.) Texting glove are super functional and super stylish. Plus, the "I couldn't text you because I was wearing gloves" excuse is out the window.
8. A Steam gift card.Did he divulge to you that he's a gamer? Like, a hardcore, take-no-prisoners, I-forgot-to-eat-because-I-was-gaming gamer? Guys who game love Steam. It's a hub for PC video games, including new and more unique games. If you're a gamer too, you can join in, and if you're not, he'll appreciate that you're supportive of his hobby. And when he's gaming, it's a great excuse for you to catch up onVanderpump Rules.
9. A Fandango gift card.HOLD UP! Note that this is not an iTunes gift card. As cool as it is to purchase a ton of movies on your Apple TV, a Fandango gift card lets you go to the movies together. **Date night!** Get a gift card that's not a set amount of money to help him avoid having a few random dollars on his gift card that live in Gift Card Money Purgatory until the end of time. Instead, get a gift card that approximately amounts to seeing a set number of movies together.
10. Nerdy pop culture paraphernalia.Game of Thronesfan? Obsessed withStar Wars? Mentioned he would do anything to get inside Dr. Who's fictional Tardis? Behold: pop culture paraphernalia. Everything from desk accouterments like to aDr. Whoposter fits the bill here.
11. Books.There's a reason tha hardcover books make great gifts, and no, that reason is not "they look soooo good on my built-in bookshelf." They can provide you with amazing, smart, interesting, provocative conversation. Give him your favorite book, or one that you could read together and then talk about it. Too high tech for a hardcover? Go for the digital version. Bottom line: Reading is sexy, and always will be.
12. A funny or quirky mug.You know what people always say about mugs? They're less creepy than a tattoo of his initialsandless expensive! OK, maybe nobody says that, but a quirky mug that can give a coffee drinker a chuckle in the morning is a pretty good (and not crazy-expensive) gift. Look for a mug that's specific to the person you're dating — i.e.: a mug that says, "I'm The Top Bitch In Cat Town," may not bode well for a dude. Society6 has some pretty cheeky mugs, as does .
13. Nice headphones that don't suck.He told you when you first started messaging online that heloooooooovesmusic, but you noticed that he's still using the crappy headphones that came with his phone. Give him a cool listening experience with a nice set of headphones, like the Sony ones pictured, which happen to noise-canceling too.
14. Portable speakers.A Bluetooth operated speaker, like the Jam speaker pictured, is a sweet gift, and a great reminder that wherever they —you— go, there is a party to be had.
Video: 19 WONDERFUL BEAUTY CRAFTS AND HACKS
TRAINING TIPS FROM AN NFL FITNESS COACH
Is There Really a Connection Between Birth Control and Brain Cancer
How to Take the Yoga Plunge When Youre a Man
Reports: Multiple people shot at Kroger outside Louisville, Kentucky
How to Get Your Art Submission Ready
Will Eyelash Extensions Make Your Real Lashes Fall Out
Trick-or-Treating Safety Tips
3 Sleep Beliefs—Explained
Trend Report: Prairie Chic
11 Other Ways to Use Tweezers
Apple CEO Steve Jobs Resigns Amid Battle with Pancreatic Cancer
How the Covers of Your Favorite Romance Novels Get Made
Marc Jacobs Bang Ad Campaign