How to Make a Cupcake Costume
DIY cupcake costumes rival the sweetness of even the best Halloween candy. You won't even need to whip out a needle and thread—these costumes can be made entirely with glue and staples. Make one for your kids the next time they go trick-or-treating, or make one for yourself the next time you get invited to a costume party. Here's how to make this sweet treat of a costume at home.
Making the Cupcake Base
Cut away the bottom of a laundry basket.Use a box cutter to carefully remove the bottom from a large, round, plastic laundry basket.
- If the laundry basket is too narrow for the wearer to slip on, you may also need to cut a straight line down the back. The basket will keep its shape, but you will be able to spread it apart enough to slip on if needed.
- If you cannot find a round laundry basket, you could also use a large, plastic, bucket-shaped toy tub.
Attach straps to the basket.Hook two white suspenders to the top of the basket and adjust them so that they can cross over the wearer's shoulders.
- You could also tie two cords or heavy-duty ribbons to the basket to mimic straps.
- If using a solid plastic toy tub, use a hot glue gun to glue the straps in place.
Accordion-fold a large section of poster board.Each fold should be about 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.6 cm) wide.
- Measure the height and circumference of the basket before proceeding. The board you use should be at least as tall as the basket and three times as long as the circumference. If using standard size poster board, you may need to use 5 to 6 sheets.
- Staple the sheets of poster board together as you fold them. If possible, hide the staples inside the folds.
- You could also use heavy foil-based wrapping paper instead of poster board.
- Make an accordion fold by taking your first section of poster board and folding it over the remaining board. Make another section that is equal in width, but fold the board in the opposite direction so that the end of the board is still visible. Continue on in this pattern until the entire board is folded.
Cover the basket with the folded board.Use a hot glue gun to adhere the folded board onto the basket. Draw a line of glue onto each inside fold of the board and press it to the basket to fix it in place.
- Instead of using glue, you could also attach the the board by punching small holes 2 inches (5 cm) away from the top and bottom of the folded board. Punch the holes on the inner folds to conceal them. Loop pipe cleaners or craft wire through these holes and around the cross bars of the basket.
Making the Frosting
Cut the legs off two pairs of tights.Use adult-size tights.
- The color you use will depend on the type of "frosting" you want your cupcake to have. Use white tights for vanilla, brown tights for chocolate, and pink tights for strawberry.
- Cut the legs off in a straight line, not at an angle.
- For taller children and adults, you may need to use three pairs of tights.
Fill the tights.Stuff each cut leg with batting or polyfill stuffing. Knot the open ends.
- Pack the tights so that they feel full, but not so full that they become stiff an unable to mold.
Glue the legs together.Use a hot glue gun to adhere the stuffed, sealed ends of the stuffed tights together, positioning them end to end.
- You could be left with one long, snake-like tube of stuffed tights.
- Let the glue dry.
Attach the "frosting" to the basket.Line 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 cm) of the top basket rim with hot glue. Fix one end of the stuffed tights to this spot. Wind the remaining tights tube around the basket's circumference, creating several layers of frosting.
- Glue as you go. For every 4 inches (10 cm) or so of your frosting, apply a generous amount of hot glue. Press it in place to secure that section before continuing on with the next.
- Create a spiral pattern with the stuffed tights. When it comes time to overlap the tights, apply the hot glue directly to the top of the bottom layer.
- Gradually position each layer of frosting further in, giving it a stacked appearance. The top layer should be snug against the wearer's body, but the wearer should still be able to slip it over his or her head.
Add sprinkles.Cut small rectangles out of felt or snip numerous pipe cleaners or plastic straws into small sections.
- Use multi-colored materials for rainbow sprinkles or dark brown materials for chocolate sprinkles.
- Attach the sprinkles to the frosting using a hot glue gun.
- Position the sprinkles in randomized, scattered directions. Do not arrange the sprinkles to face the same direction since this will not look appropriately cupcake-like.
Top the outfit off with a cherry.Wear a red knit cap and use hot glue to attach a red pipe cleaner to the uppermost tip.
- Bend the pipe cleaner slightly so that it looks like the stem of a cherry.
Wear the right clothes underneath.Dress in tights and a sweatshirt.
- The tights and sweatshirt should match the color of the frosting. If you used white frosting, then wear white clothes. If you used chocolate frosting, wear brown clothes.
- Alternatively, you could wear flesh-tone tights instead of colored tights. Wear short running shorts above the tights, checking to make sure that they do not extend past the bottom of the cupcake costume wrapper.
- You could also trade the sweatshirt for a tank top or sleeveless shirt.
Avoid distracting footwear.Wear shoes that match your tights, if possible.
- Wear plain sandals or flats. Avoid elaborately decorated shoes.
- If you cannot match your shoes to your tights, simply select the simplest pair of shoes you can find.
Can I just use a sprinkle skirt instead of a laundry basket?
Things You'll Need
Round plastic laundry basket or toy tub
Suspenders, cords, rope, or ribbon
Poster board or wrapping paper
Paper hole puncher
Craft wire or plain pipe cleaners
2-3 pairs adult-size tights
Batting or polyfill stuffing
Hot glue gun
Multi-colored straws, felt, or pipe cleaners
Red pipe cleaner
Red knit hat
Sweatshirt, t-shirt, tank top, or sleeveless shirt
Simple flats or sandals
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Русский: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: DIY Halloween Costumes Out of Candy! 15 DIY Projects for Halloween!
Taylor Swift Explains Why She QuitSpotify
Amazon Prime Day: headphones deals, up to 44 off Beats and Bang Olufsen
How To Eat Your Way To Great Hair
Botox Might Improve Your Sex Life
An Anti-Feminist Party Is Running In The General Election. Sorry, WHAT
Alexa Chung, Kate Moss, and More Up For British FashionAward
Triple Cheesy Mac and Cheese
How to Restore Sun Damaged Plastic
6 Ways to Make Quinoa a Part of Every Meal
Gorgeously luxurious – but affordable – jewellery gifts
How to Deal With Friends Who Are Emotionally Irritating
13 Gluten-Free Protein Powders for Shakes and Smoothies