Woman claims exploding Bath Body Works candle burned her
Not the candle in question. Caroline Praderio/INSIDER
The INSIDER Summary:
- A woman says her Bath & Body Works candle "exploded."
- It caused her to go to the emergency room, her husband said.
- The alleged incident was partially caught on camera.
- The woman and her family want an explanation from the company after having followed instructions for the candle.
A Texas woman landed in the hospital after she says her vanilla-scented Bath & Body Works candle "exploded," burning her face.
Ashley Brawley, who her husband says is recovering from first- and second-degree burns, tried blowing out her candle after seeing what she referred to as unusually large flames.
"The candle made a huge flame from just trying to blow it out," Ashley's husband Cody Brawley wrote in a Facebook post about the incident. "The flame engulfed her face and hot wax splashed all over her face."
To put out the candle, Cody Brawley said he had to take the candle outside their home in Burleson, Texas, and use a hose to extinguish the flames. He told NBC DFW that when the cold water hit the candle, it exploded into several pieces. Ashley was in the hospital that same day, according to the July 23 Facebook post by her husband.
The incident was partially captured on video by Brawley's Nest home surveillance system. Cody Brawley posted the tape to Facebook.
Some comments on the post say that Brawley should have used the lid of the candle to stop the flames. But she notes that a six-inch flames makes that hard.
"I would've never imagine in a million years that I would walk in and it would be in flames," Brawley told NBC DFW. "I'll never use a candle again. Ever. I mean, it scared me."
The candle is not currently on a recall list, but similar complaints about large flames have been made. The couple claims that they followed the instructions for the candle and kept the wick trimmed and the candle had been burning for 3 hours and 20 minutes, within the time limit according to the usage instructions for the candle.
Now they want answers from the company as to why this happened.
Bath & Body Works released this statement to NBC DFW concerning the incident (neither Bath & Body Works nor the Brawley family responded immediately to INSIDER's request for comment):We are very sorry that this happened and are taking this situation extremely seriously. The safety of our customers is our number one priority, and we are actively working to learn more details from the customer.
Video: Exploding Candle Shoots Flames in Woman’s Face?
7 Mind-Blowing Facts About Leggings
1 in 3 Women Survive Ovarian Cancer a Decade or More
18 Times Victoria Beckham Wore Colour And Nailed It
Jump in Resting Heart Rate Might Signal Higher Death Risk
The Procrastinator’s Guide to Last-Minute HolidayTravel
Science says women need more sleep because their brains work harder
10 Best Iron Rich Foods in Hindi
8 Ways To Disguise Thinning Hair
What it’s like to audition at Juilliard
Sunday Riley Good Genes: The Nontoxic Anti-Aging Serum Everyone Is Obsessed With
How to Make a Virgin Mojito
Calorie Crushing Tabata Workout